"Fight the Power" is a song by hip hop legends Public Enemy, released as a single in the summer of 1989 on Motown Records. It was conceived at the request of film director Spike Lee, who sought a musical theme for his 1989 film Do the Right Thing.
In 1988, shortly after the release of their second album It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Public Enemy were preparing for the European leg of the Run's House tour with Run–D.M.C. Before embarking on the tour, film director Spike Lee approached Public Enemy with the proposition of making a song for one of his movies. Lee, who was directing Do the Right Thing, sought to use the song as a leitmotif in the film about racial tension in a Brooklyn, New York neighborhood. He said of his decision in a subsequent interview for Time, "I wanted it to be defiant, I wanted it to be angry, I wanted it to be very rhythmic. I thought right away of Public Enemy".[At a meeting in Lower Manhattan, Lee told lead MC Chuck D, producer Hank Shocklee of The Bomb Squad, and executive producer Bill Stephney that he needed an anthemic song for the film. While flying over Italy on the tour, Chuck D was inspired to write most of the song.He recalled his idea, "I wanted to have sorta like the same theme as the original 'Fight the Power' by The Isley Brothers and fill it in with some kind of modernist views of what our surroundings were at that particular time." The group's bass player Brian Hardgroove has said of the song's message, "Law enforcement is necessary. As a species we haven’t evolved past needing that. Fight the Power is not about fighting authority—it’s not that at all. It’s about fighting abuse of power."
- This garment is made with the most expensive dyeing process, reducing shrinking up to 99%
- The fabric is created to be a softer, better quality fabric that feels “broken in” and soft for your skin
- Created with quality in mind, it’s made from 100% ring spun cotton
- Will last for years with it’s double needle stitched neckline, sleeves, and bottom-hems
- 100% ring spun cotton
- Soft washed garment dyed fabric
- Double needle collar
- Twill taped neck and shoulders
- Double needle armhole, sleeve and bottom hems
- As with all pigment dyed shirts colors will vary slightly.
For environmental and human friendly reason, this product is only made when you order it. Please allow about a week for it to be made and we will send you tracking information as soon as it's in the mail.